Balagalla Saraswathi Piriwena
Balagalla Saraswathi Piriwena This beautiful temple is situated in the village of Divulapitiya in Gampaha District, Sri Lanka.
The temple was established in 1897. the two acres of land was donated by Don Miguel Jayakody Ralahami. the birth of the Piriwena (a monastic college) for the education of monks was inaugurated on 7th March 1903 The construction works of the image house 1904, then the preaching hall March 1922) also was build by the donation from Don Miguel Jayakody Ralahami. The construction of the Vihara library was completed by his son D.P Jayakody and other donators.
Today The old Vihara-Ge of Sarasvathi Pirivena is an archaeologically protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 18th June 1999. This Pirivena is situated in Balagalla village in Divulapitiya, in the Gampaha district.
References & External Links
Wikipedia - Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA)
The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1085. 18 June 1999.