6°56'10.67''N 79°50'26''E

කොලඹ ගල්බොක්ක ප්‍රදීපාගාරය

Colombo Galbokka Lighthouse

Colombo Galbokka Lighthouse

Colombo Galbokka Lighthouse

Most of the lighthouses in Sri Lanka were built during the British rule of the country (then known as Ceylon). These were operated and maintained by the Imperial Lighthouse Service. However, some lighthouses had keepers sent from Trinity House. After Sri Lanka gained independence, the operation of the lighthouses was taken over by the Navy on a piecemeal basis, with the completion of transfer by 1976. 


There are twenty-five lighthouses in Sri Lanka, with sixteen of those being still active. Most of these lighthouses now fall under the control of the Sri Lanka Ports Authority, whilst the remainder is under the power of the Sri Lanka Navy.


Colombo Lighthouse is located just walking distance from the Galle face green, towards the harbour road, also know as chaitya road. It is operated and maintained by the Sri Lanka Ports Authority. It is located at Galbokka Point, south of the Port of Colombo. With the port city, the construction most of the view does not exist. The lighthouse was built in 1952 with a height of 34 meters.

References & External Links



  • Colombo (Galbokka Point) The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved April 1, 2016