Colombo Harbor Breakwater Northeast Lighthouse
Most of the lighthouses in Sri Lanka were built during the British rule of the country (then known as Ceylon). These were operated and maintained by the Imperial Lighthouse Service. However, some lighthouses had keepers sent from Trinity House. After Sri Lanka gained independence, the operation of the lighthouses was taken over by the Navy on a piecemeal basis, with the completion of transfer by 1976.
There are twenty-five lighthouses in Sri Lanka, with sixteen of those being still active. Most of these lighthouses now fall under the control of the Sri Lanka Ports Authority, whilst the remainder is under the power of the Sri Lanka Navy.
There are six Lighthouses situated inside the Colombo Harbour. The Colombo Harbor Breakwater Northeast Lighthouse is one of them.
This lighthouse is currently active, and it was commissioned in 1907 with a focal plane of 13 meters—the 10 m round concrete tower with a lantern and gallery, and the red light completes this lighthouse.
References & External Links
Sri Lanka The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 14 November 2016
Lighthouses in Sri Lanka Paperback – 15 September 2010 by Books LLC
Wikipedia - Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA)