Colombo Island Breakwater South End
Most of the lighthouses in Sri Lanka were built during the British rule of the country (then known as Ceylon). These were operated and maintained by the Imperial Lighthouse Service. However, some lighthouses had keepers sent from Trinity House. After Sri Lanka gained independence, the operation of the lighthouses was taken over by the Navy on a piecemeal basis, with the completion of transfer by 1976.
There are twenty-five lighthouses in Sri Lanka, with sixteen of those being still active. Most of these lighthouses now fall under the control of the Sri Lanka Ports Authority, whilst the remainder is under the power of the Sri Lanka Navy.
This 12 m round stone tower with a lantern and gallery all painted white was built in 1905. equipped with a focal plane of 13 m and is an active lighthouse
References & External Links
Sri Lanka The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 14 November 2016
Lighthouses in Sri Lanka Paperback – 15 September 2010 by Books LLC
Wikipedia - Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA)