Ganekanda Purana Rajamaha Viharaya Aluthepola
Ganekanda Purana Rajamaha Viharaya Aluthepola Aluthepola Ganekanda Raja Maha Viharaya, also known as Aluthepola Pansala, is situated in the village of Aluthepola in the Gampaha District.
According to an old manuscript found in the temple, the Vihara was in existence during the 18th-century. The land was donated by a Dutch officer in 1796. The drip-ledged cave in the temple premises indicates that the Vihara would have originated from a very early period, most probably to the Anuradhapura era (377 B.C.-1017 A.D.).
The old survey tower located in the Vihara premises was declared an archaeologically protected monument by a government Gazette notification published on 22 November 2002.
References & External Links
Wikipedia - Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA)
(Heritage Buildings of Sri Lanka 2009, NIMAL DE SILVA & D.P. CHANDRASEKARA. P:11)
Piyarathana, L., 2013. A bibliographical survey of the palm leaf manuscripts in Ridiviharaya in Kurunegala District & Aluthepola Ganekanda temple, Gampaha District.
The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, no: 1264, 22 November 2002.