The Ambalama (Sinhala: අම්බලම) is a simple structure that was designed to provide shelter for passing travellers. There were no charges for using the premises of the Ambalama as it was made, as an offering of goodwill (Pinkama).
The site consists of the Kahaththewela ancient Ambalam situated in Grama Niladhari Division, Kahaththewela in the Divisional Secretary’s Division, Bandarawela in Badulla District in Uva Province.
The site was designated as an Archaeological Protected Monument by The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. 1597. 8 April 2009.
The Ambalama is situated before the St. Thomas Junction adjoining Kahaththewela Road on the Bandarawela - Welimada Road. Nearby the Sri Subodaramaya Temple.
References & External Links
"Ambalama, a symbol of our heritage (Sunday Observer)". Archived from the original on 6 June 2014. Retrieved
Wikipedia - Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA)