Kanniya Hot Water Wells at Trincomalee
The Kanniya Hot Springs (Sinhala: කන්නියා උණුදිය ලිං, Tamil: கன்னியா வெந்நீரூற்று) is a site with hot wells located in Trincomalee, Sri Lanka. There are seven wells in a square shape. Wells are only 3–4 feet deep and you can clearly see the bottom. The temperature is considerably high but vary slightly from one spring to another. Wells run out of water, when 10-15 buckets of water are taken out. History The old ruins of the monastery still visible over the area, but it seems that most of those artifacts were destroyed during the Sri Lankan Civil War.
On 9 September 2011, the seven hot water wells, Chaitya mound and other scattered building ruins in the site were formally recognised by the Government as archaeological protected monuments. The designation was declared under the government Gazette number 1723.
A Stupa mound belonging to the early Anuradhapura period and an inscription of 1-2 centuries A.D. were found from the recent archaeological excavations done at the site. The inscription reveals that the waters of five tanks located in nearby area were reserved for the usage of Buddhist monks who were residing in a temple.