The drive along the southern crescent of the bay of Beruwala leads the visitor along an ancient road with remnants of old houses of the Dutch period, a Christian Church of St. Lazarus, dated 1901 and the Mosque of high antiquarian value at the very tip of the bay, where the breakwater begins. This Mosque stands majestically on a kabook hill. It provides a nearly 360-degree panorama which includes both sea and land, and especially the old harbour, which could have moored the many hundred ships of the Chinese fleet in 1402 and after.
The site was designated as an Archaeological Protected Monument by Government Gazette notification. No: 1919 Published on 12 June 2015.